After four large fires during 1946 and 1947, the last being
Mr. Harold Kenyon's barn, the people of the Town of Scotland
could no longer depend wholly on volunteer firemen from the
surrounding towns. This resulted in one of the town's most
On October 13, 1947, Mr. Robert Collins sent out letters
inviting all interested people for a meeting at the town hall.
Fifty-eight men and women signed up at that time as Charter
Members and the association known as the Scotland Volunteer
Fire Department came into existence.
The SVFD became incorporated on November 18, 1947 under the
leadership of President Raymond A. Perry.
One month later, on December 18, 1947, the SVFD purchased
a used 1926 American LaFrance Pump Truck, chain driven, from
the Bridgeport Fire Department for $310.00. This first piece
of firefighting apparatus was first brought to Perry Motors,
owned and operated by Raymond Perry, who proceeded, with the
help of some of the new firefighters to refurbish the fire
engine. Mr. Perry built a 200 gallon water tank and installed
it in the body of the truck. Other parts and equipment were
installed and then the truck was stored in the town garage.
The town, having only one town truck at the time, and the
garage having two bays, the SVFD stored the truck in the second
The First Article of the Scotland Volunteer Fire Department,
Inc was received on January 8, 1948 at 3:30PM and was recorded
into the Scotland Land Records in Volume 13, Page 315 and
was signed by President Raymond A. Perry, Vice President David
O. Shoemaker, Secretary David. D. Syme, and Treasurer Russell
The search for a firehouse site was solved on August 11,
1948 when John MacGregor, a direct descendant of one of the
first five settlers in Scotland, generously donated the land
on which the new firehouse sits. The new firehouse was built
entirely by the volunteer labor of the new fire department
members and family, including a young Walter Neborsky, who
was still too young to join as a member. Building was led
under the guidance of members John and Charles Perry, who
were local builders. Meetings were held at the Shetucket Grange
until November 10, 1948, when the first meeting was held in
the new firehouse.
On February 3, 1953, the SVFD purchased a new fire truck
from Leonard Ford of Willimantic. It was then sent to Seagrave
in Columbus, Ohio, who installed all Seagrave's fire equipment.
The total cost of the new truck was $12,000. The Chief, Assistant
Chief, and two of the firefighters journeyed to Ohio to pick
up the new fire truck, thus saving the new fire company all
Until the firehouse was built in 1948, members were notified
of a fire by telephoning each other. With the firehouse complete,
a siren installed on the peak of the roof was activated by
calling Willimantic Fire Department Switchboard, The first
man to arrive at the firehouse picked up a direct line telephone
to the Switchboard, who told the member where the fire was.
The member would then write the location on a chalkboard for
members who arrived after the truck had left, so they would
know where to go. In June, 1974, plectrons were bought for
In June 1959, the one and only traffic light in town was
installed in front of the firehouse.
On August 3, 1960, the first of many training drills began
under the supervision of Chief David D. Syme and Assistant
Chief George Lawton. Drills still take place every Monday
night to keep the members abreast of the new techniques and
familiarization with equipment.
In September 1962, the first alarm box was installed in the
firehouse. The alarm box was used until the summer of 1997,
when two separate lighting strikes rendered the box unusable.
In October 1964, the SVFD purchased a new Dodge Power Wagon
for forest firefighting. At first, it was brought to Perry
Motors, then operated by Russ Perry, where he and six others
built the panel cabinets on the sides of the truck. They also
installed the water tank and hose reel, which had been salvaged
from the old 1926 American LaFrance and stored in Phellp's
Barn. In about a month, the Power Wagon was moved to the firehouse
and put in service. The Power Wagon, now known as Service
116, is still in use today.
In February 1967, the SVFD purchased it's first firefighting
gear; eight sets boots at $20 each, eight coats at $27.50
each, and eight helmets at $18.75 each. Before this time,
firefighters used coveralls and work boots to fight fires.
The SVFD placed the first Fire Police into service in August
1968 to direct traffic and control the crowds that gather
In 1972, an aunt of the former Assistant Chief, visiting
him from Massachusetts, fell and broke her hip. Donald Glugover,
orthopedic specialist who lived in town and served as our
Health Officer, tried to get an ambulance from Hampton, Chaplin,
Baltic and Willimantic. They told him that Scotland was out
of their jurisdiction and refused to come. This made Dr. Glugover
very upset, and he attended the next SVFD meeting to request
that the fire department start an ambulance service. The SVFD
agreed and purchased it's first ambulance, a used 1968 Cadillac
from Mansfield Volunteer Fire Department for $9,000.00. This
ambulance was retired from SVFD service in 1981.
In July 1975, the SVFD purchased a used 1969 oil tank truck
from Potter's Oil Service and converted it into a water tank
truck to provide water for firefighting apparatus. This truck
was retired from service in 1980.
In November 1979, the SVFD purchased a new 1979 GMC pump
tanker truck from the Middlesex Fire Equipment Co. for $84,000.
This truck was sold in August 200l and is currently in service
Due to a change in ambulance regulations, the SVFD was forced,
in May 1981, to purchase a used Ford Yankee Coach ambulance
from the Marlborough Fire Department for $12,500. This ambulance
was retired in 1991.
In November of 1988, the SVFD purchased a used 1986 International/Middlesex
hose tender off of Cape Cod, Massachusetts for $85,000. Equipped
with nearly one mile of 5" hose, Hose Tender (HT) 116
is still in service today.
Two years later, in November of 1990, the SVFD purchased
a used 1985 Ford Yankee Coach ambulance from the Deep River
Ambulance Association for $16,000. This ambulance, known as
Rescue 516, is in service today.
The SVFD purchased a used 1971 American LaFrance Pump Truck
from Glen Echo Fire Department in Maryland for $22,000. This
truck was replaced by another truck purchased from Glen Echo.
This one, a 1981 American LaFrance purchased in June of 1994.
In 1999, this truck was replaced by a 1982 FMC Duplex. This
truck, now known as Engine 116, is in service today.
In May 1995, the SVFD purchased it's first rescue truck,
a used 1981 Chevrolet chassis equipped with a Ranger walk-in
rescue body from the New Haven Fire Department for $3000.00.
The truck has suffered damage to the box from prior accidents
while in service in New Haven, and numerous SVFD members volunteered
many hours doing body work on the vehicle for it to be placed
into service. Rescue 116 is still in service today.
On August 15, 1999, The Scotland Volunteer Fire Department
moved into it's new station on Brook Road, about a quarter
of a mile from where the first station stands. The new "Station
16" boasts 7 apparatus bays, a dispatch room, a recreation
room, a bunk room, and is attached to the Scotland Volunteers
In September 2001, the SVFD purchased a 1987 Seagrave cab
and chassis equipped with a brand new custom 2500 gallon tank
body for $130,000, and entered it into current service as
Engine Tank (ET) 116.
On November 8, 2002, the SVFD placed a 1997 Wheeled Coach
ambulance, purchased from the Beacon Volunteer Ambulance Corps,
into service and became known as Rescue 516, replacing the
1985 Yankee Coach purchased 12 years prior.